Military History of the USS Corry
Radio Call Sign = NAYC

Novembr.gif (216 bytes)Alfa.gif (1414 bytes)Yankeeo.gif (1110 bytes)Charlie.gif (944 bytes)

Voice Call = MISGIVE

History from the Crew

DD-334, The 1st USS Corry

DD-463, The 2nd USS Corry

DD-817 Commissioning 1946

DD-817, The 3rd USS Corry

DDR-817 Re commissioning

Carlo Fugazzi 1946

Robert M. Pohl 1961 to 1965

Capt. William J. Aicklen, Jr. 1965 to 1967

Thomas Mazzone 1946 to 1948

Jim Shaftic 2/61 to 8/63

Bill Baldwin 6/67 to 6/69

Mission Fireing Records Vietnam 1968 to 1973


dol.gif (12735 bytes)


USS Corry DD817 as received from shipmates


   February 6, 1961 I went aboard Corry the day she returned to D&S Piers Norfolk from a Med Cruise. Corry was in DESRON 26, DESDIV 262. Commander H.W. Hiller was the CO and LCDR Crevier was XO. In March unloaded ammo in Yorktown and then we went to dry dock in the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. Corry was outfitted with the latest electronics gear that the Navy had. DESDIV 262 had the first data links ever between ships. The ships shafts could not be balanced so Corry went to the Newport News Yards where the Enterprise was being built. No luck there in balancing shafts so we went to a small private shipyard in Norfolk where the job was completed. Reloaded ammo and prepared for GTMO training.

   In  September, Corry left Norfolk for battle training in GTMO. While in GTMO Corry and USS Bristol DD 857 were sent on a classified mission off the coast of Central America. A fifty caliber machine gun was mounted on the bridge and a battle plan for Corry and Bristol was developed. After some days of patrol Hurricane Hattie blew in before the mission could be completed. Hattie was a Class 5 hurricane and we tracked it on our height finder radar. It took a left turn and headed right at Corry. We were 75 miles from the eye of this monster when the CO decided it was time to get the hell out of its path. On October 31, Hattie hit Stann Creek and Belize, British Honduras dead center. Hattie killed 275 people and destroyed 40 percent of the buildings in Belize and flattened Stann Creek. The morning after Hattie hit, Corry took a 59 degree roll in a giant ground swell. The Corry and Bristol were ordered in to provide assistance. Transiting the reef into Belize was quite harrowing as all channel markers and bouys had been blown about and there was actually zero clearance under our sonar dome in the channel. Corry provided communications to the rest of the world and our corpsmen helped thousands. After relief work Corry went back to GTMO to complete training. Corry visited Kingston, Jamaica for R & R and returned to Norfolk.

   In Norfolk, Corry was assigned plane guard duty with various carriers off the Virginia and North Carolina coasts for the rest of 1961.

   February, 1962 Corry left Norfolk for a Med Cruise. As a DDR, Corry’s main mission was air defense and 95 percent of the time we were running with carriers, the Shangri-La and Independence mostly. Our CIC officer, Ops officer and senior radarmen directed fighter jets for air interceptions. Corry visited the following ports on this cruise; Gibralter, Cannes(twice), Savona, Genoa, Livorno, Gaeta,  Civitavecchia, Naples (3 times) and Salerno, Italy. Also we visited Athens and Salonika, Greece, Antalya, Turkey and Tripoli, Libya. In July in a port in Italy, CDR. Archy Lupia relieved CDR. Hiller as CO. Corry returned to Norfolk in August, 1962.

   In mid October Corry left Norfolk to fire guns on the island of Culebra, Puerto Rico. We were to make a port visit to San Juan prior to Culebra. Twenty four hours out from San Juan we changed course and were told to light off the air search radar and track everything that was flying. We all wondered what was going on when a shipmate said he heard a Miami radio station say the President Kennedy was considering a blockade of Cuba. Corry made passage between Cuba and Haiti and was one of the first ships on station even before the blockade took effect on October 22. In a few days Corry was assigned to air defense of GTMO with the USS Independence. We took up station about 100 miles south of GTMO. As I understood it the carrier was to bomb the hell out of the Cubans if they attacked GTMO. As we steamed north we would come into contact with an Amphib fleet that was stationed closer to GTMO than us and these Marines were to be landed where ever they would be needed. We could also hear the carrier USS Ranger on our voice radio so they must have been just off the west coast of Mexico to launch and refuel somewhere if necessary. After 35 days or so Corry blew a boiler and was sent to Kingston, Jamaica for a few days for repairs and then back out to sea for another 40 or so days. The original requirement for the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal was to have been on the blockade for 45 consecutive days so Corry was not awarded the Medal. Forty years later while reading the Tin Can Sailor’s news letter I see a list of destroyers that were awarded the Medal for the blockade and Corry was listed. I assume the Navy reviewed the records in later years and decided Corry should get the Medal. I sent off to St. Louis for my Medal and 18 months later it came in the mail, 42 years late in all. Corry returned to Norfolk in late November or early December.

   In March of 1963 Corry was assigned to escort King Hassan of Morocco into New York City as he was arriving on the SS Constitution. Corry intercepted the Constitution some 100 miles out of the harbor entrance. The Navy Blue Angels then put on an air show for the King as we steamed toward New York. The Blue Angels used Corry’s TACAN as a reference point as we were still steaming at some 15 knots and a moving target. The show was spectacular and the last fly-by with wheels and flaps down at such a slow speed and so close you could almost touch them was great. We escorted the King to Manhattan Piers and then headed for Brooklyn Navy Yard as the Navy would not pay for us to berth in Manhattan so we stayed in Brooklyn for a few days.

   In May Corry was assigned as the Canary Island recovery ship for Astronaut Major Cooper’s flight. We took aboard an actual Project Mercury capsule and went off the Virginia Cape to practice recoveries. We set sail for a stop in Bermuda and then proceeded to the Canary Islands. Major cooper was launched on May 15 and it was successful. Corry had R&R in Las Palmas, Tenerife in the Canaries. We stopped in Bermuda again on the way to Norfolk.

   Corry was sent up the James River for the Fourth of July celebration in Richmond, VA. and returned to Norfolk on July 5.

   Corry departed Norfolk on July 12, 1963 for Key West, FL to participate with the Navy’s sonar school students training. Corry arrived in Key West on July 14. The very next day Corry was assigned to follow a Russian merchant ship that was steaming towards Cuba. We followed it right into Havana. We took up station 3 miles off Havana and steamed back and forth all night. The Komar speed boats were running around but never threatened. On the mid-watch I was searching the ECM gear when a high pitched noise nearly blew my ear drum up. We took all the characteristics of this radar signal and evaluated it as a Russian Fire Can guided missle  radar and it was locked on Corry. We took 3 direction finder bearings and layed them out on a trace over a chart of Cuba. The bearings landed on a railroad track and that fit the radar as it was mobile. At 4 AM I was relieved of watch and hit the rack knowing that if someone pushed the button in Havana the Corry would be hit by a missle. When I awoke at 7 AM we were on our way back to Key West. Naval Intel wanted our trace and sound tapes of the Fire Can radar and we sent them to D.C.. Corry got a Bravo Zulu back from Intel. While at Key West, Corry had R&R in Miami. Returned to Norfolk July 28.

   Corry was going to GTMO for training once again in August and not to return to Norfolk until late September. My release date was Sept. 9 and I was released early on August 16 thus ending my Navy and USS Corry days. Looking back they were some great times.

Top of Page


 History of USS Corry DD-817: 6/67 to 6/69
 by Bill Baldwin, Communications Officer

Corry was dry docked in June 1967, for overhaul at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard in Portsmouth, VA; her first face lift since FRAM I in1964. Captain William J. Aicklen, Jr. was Commanding Officer. She was being prepared for a 7th Fleet rotational tour, her first to Vietnam. Commander Cornelius Stribling Snodgrass, Jr. reported aboard as the new CO on 6 January 1968. LCDR James F. Todd was still the XO.

In March of 1968 Corry left the shipyard and returned to DESRON 36 as a unit of DESDIV 362 at the Naval Operating Base Destroyer piers in Norfolk. Following several yard acceptance trials off Hampton Roads and Virginia Beach and a return to the yard to fix evaporators, Corry got underway in late March for NATO Exercises in the Atlantic. In May we were underway for Guantanamo Bay, Cuba (GTMO) for crew refresher training. During our 6 weeks in GTMO, the Corry crew did every maneuver and operation normally expected of a destroyer. We had a liberty call in Ocho Rios, Jamaica, dockside at the Reynolds Aluminum piers for a weekend, and then a final liberty call in St. Thomas, VI, dockside in Charlotte Amalie, before returning to Norfolk in early July. The Crew would now make final preparations for our upcoming WESTPAC deployment.

On 7 September, 1968 Corry got underway for Vietnam from Norfolk. We were a unit of COMDESDIV362 who was aboard USS Robert L. Wilson DD-847, and included USS Douglas H. Fox DD-779, USS Waldron DD-    and USS Waller, DD-466. Just one day out, the Fox blew a boiler and Corry was detached to receive the 3 dead and 5 severally burned BTs and BMs by motor launch, along with LT Robert Tripplett, MD. Corry traveled at flank speed to Charleston, SC Naval Base. The Wardroom became a hospital, and patient instructions for burn treatments were received from Charleston and relayed by the Communications Officer to Dr, Tripplett.  Corry rejoined DESDIV-362 ships off of Jacksonville, FL, while the Fox limped into Charleston for repairs.

Corry, along with RL Wilson and Waller transited the Caribbean, refueled in Colon and transited the Panama Canal at night, two destroyers to a lock. From Balboa on 12 September, Corry in a column formation made way to San Diego, where we received a major delivery of WESTPAC Operations Orders. From San Diego on 9/19 it was on to Pearl Harbor where we off-loaded our “nukie” ASROC torpedo rockets. The officers drilled with Operations Orders every evening while underway. We departed Hawaii on 9/28, refueling at Midway Island on 10/6 and then encountered Typhoon Faye, while in transit to Guam. The eye was avoided, but we still took on 20-25’ seas for 12 hours.  LCDR Todd departed Corry, while LCDR Billy Bendit replaced him as XO.  We departed Guam on 10/13 and arrived in Subic Bay, Philippines on 17 October. Corry detached from DESDIV 362, refueled, rearmed and restored for a departure to a Naval Gunfire Support mission in the Mekong Delta. Corry was participating in Vietnamese Counter Offensive VI and took on two Republic of Vietnam Naval Officers, Ensign Le Hoang Dao and Dao Van Hai. We received our gunfire grid coordinates in Vung Tau and were escorted by swift boats, fore and aft, into the Mekong Delta. Corry lay at anchor from 10/23 until 10/27, providing Harassment and Interdiction (H&I) fire at night and “Call For Fire” targets from spotters during the day. From the Mekong, Corry refueled and rearmed underway, and returning to the mouth of the Mekong in III Corps, to be part of Operation Market Time. Our mission was to keep Viet Cong supply boats from entering the Mekong to replenish their troops. We made surprise challenges to 6 small craft at darken ship, and our day-time presence discouraged dozens more who feared to approach. Corry returned to Subic in early November and then redeployed to PIRAZ, Positive Identification Radar Advisory Zone, in the northern end of the Gulf of Tonkin, to join the USS Wainright DLG 28 as her shotgun. Later in November, Corry returned to Subic to prepare for Operation Sea Dragon with the USS Springfield CL-66. As we approached our station, off the coast of Haiphong harbor, Corry received a flash message from President Johnson to cease all hostile fire against North Vietnam. Corry was to draw battery fire from shore SAM sites, while the Springfield, staying out of battery range, would knock out the firing site with her 8” guns. Corry took this opportunity to redeploy to Sasebo, Japan for some repairs and a short R&R. We returned to Subic and then Yankee Station on 12/22 to be Plane Guard to the USS Intrepid CVA-11, in her last combat mission before retirement.  We spent part of Christmas day, 1968 alongside the USS Ponchatoula AO-148 refueling, with the Intrepid on the other side, listening to Bob Hope and his USO Entertainment team. Bob gave Corry a salute song over the PA as recognition for our plane guarding. Corry returned to Subic on 12/30 for New Years.

After providing plane guard for the USS Ranger CVA-61 on Yankee Station in the first week of January, Corry deployed to Da Nang and then to the Batangan Peninsula, off the coast of Chu Lai in I Corps. We joined the USS New Jersey BB-62 on 1/8/69 in an amphibious operation, Bold Mariner. Corry provided call for fire and H&I gunfire until 1/30/69. RADM W. W. Berens provided a message commendation to Corry for the accuracy and rapid response of gunfire support. Following that mission we received a much needed R&R in Hong Kong for 4 days.  Afterwards we headed to Kaohsiung, Nationalist China for repairs. On 2/15, Corry deployed to the gun-line in II Corps. We did “call for fire” and H&I off Phan Rang and Nha Trang until the end of February. By now Corry had fired 6,607-5” rounds and performed 40 underway replenishments. Afterwards, we headed for home, stopping at Buckner Bay Okinawa on 5 March, and then Yokosuka, Japan, from 6 to 12 March. We were rejoined by the Waldron, Waller and R.L.Wilson as COMDESDIV 362.

We took a straight shot from Yokosuka, leaving the deck ice and cold, to Midway Island on 17 March, and then Pearl on 22 March. We cruised rapidly at night (I was OOD) through the Hawaiian Islands at 22 knots to make liberty at 8:00 AM at Pearl. Upon arriving we witnessed the filming of “Tora, Tora Tora.” It was surprising to see Jap Zeros flying all around the Pearl Harbor. Back to San Diego on 3 April and then on to Mazatlan, Mexico on 7 April, back through the canal on 21 April and on to Norfolk, 18 April, 1969. NOB provided a fire boat spray salute, but the anti war protestors on the beach were unkind to many of us. A lot of us returned to our civilian lives again, and tried to fit in. It was hard! During this 2 year period we had logged in nearly 100,000 miles at sea, and had an experience of a lifetime. Every crew member did his job, in the spirit of doing what it takes to get it done.  It was a delight to sail with such a dedicated and skilled crew, and I’m proud to be a known as a Corry sailor. Bravo Zulu to all.

Top of Page


USS Corry DD-817
Commissioning photo - Original Officers and Crew
City Dock, Orange TX    27 February 1946

corry#8.JPG (47081 bytes)
Photo Courtesy  Robert L. Harrelson RMC

 The 3rd, USS Corry DD-817, was launched 7-28-1945 by Consolidated Steel Corp. of Texas, Orange, TX; sponsored by Miss Corry; commissioned 2-27-1946, CDR M.S. Shellabarger in command; & reported to the Atlantic Fleet.

The Corry sailed from Galveston, TX, 3-28-1946 for shakedown training in the Caribbean, & arrived at Norfolk 10 July.  A tour of duty followed  in European & Mediterranean waters from 7-23-1946 to 3-19-1947.

The adjoining photo was taken from the Corry as she entered the Suez Canal on 22 November 1946.
Photo Courtesy  Robert L. Harrelson  RMC

corry#7.JPG (28701 bytes)Photo on the right shows the Corry Entering Venice, Italy 1946.
Photo Courtesy  Robert L. Harrelson RMC


The USS Corry conducted Reserve training cruises from the Potomac River Naval Command, then reported to Pensacola to serve as plane guard for carriers operating off Florida from 9-22-1947 to 4-28-1950.

The USS Corry joined DesRon 8 at Norfolk 5-22-1950 for antisubmarine exercises which included a cruise to Quebec in July.  From 2 Sept. to 12 Nov. she served with the 6th. Fleet in the Mediterranean, & joined a midshipmen cruise to northern Europe, visiting Gotesburg & Cherbourg, France, from 1 Jun. to 27 Jul. 1951.  Her next tour of duty with the 6th Fleet was from 22 Apr. to 23 Oct. 1952.  USS Corry sailed out of Norfolk for local operations until 4-01-1953 when she was decommissioned for conversion to a radar picket destroyer.  She was reclassified DDR-817, 4-09-1953.

Recommissioned 1-09-1954, USS Corry performed a shakedown to Gitmo & then carried NROTC midshipmen on a cruise to New Orleans & thru the Panama Canal for operations at Balboa in the summer of 1954.   From Sept. 1954 thru 1960 USS Corry alternated 4 tours of duty with the 6th. Fleet in the Mediterranean with operations out of Norfolk along the east coast, & exercises in the Caribbean.

The USS Corry  DD-817 served in Viet Nam in 68-70 tour & is a member of the Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club.   She served in all areas of the Viet Nam conflict from patrol in North Vietnam  & China waters, providing gunfire support in the south, replenishing patrol craft in the Delta.

The USS Corry earned various ribbons, awards & the E efficiency award. She sailed from Norfolk in Aug'68 & returned Apr'69.   The Corry was alongside the USS New Jersey when she made her debut in the South Vietnam war theater.   Both ships were participants of Operation Bold Mariner in Jan'69.   It was the largest amphibious landing since the Korean conflict began.

The following info was supplied to me by former USS Corry shipmate, MSSN Kenneth Bozzo, from his tour during 1978 thru  decommissioning 1980. On 3-30-79, in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, we were just starting our liberty call & a fire started on board the Italian Cruise Ship Angelina Lauro.  All liberty was cancelled, & all hands helped in evacuating the ship passengers.  Throughout the night we fought the fire.  After being unable to extinguish the fire, we towed the ship out to the bay & proceeded to sink it.  I believe we were relieved by the USS Johnston, who finished the job.  After returning to our Home Port in Philadelphia, all hands received the Meritorious Unit Medal."
Anyone able to substantiate the above, please E-mail me ASAP.

Please check out these web sites

On 7-6-2000, I received the following Email, from John Driscoll with Email address of .  "I came across your website & read with some interest the incident regarding the Angelina Lauro.  I am a native of St. Thomas, Virgin Islands & observed the burning of the ship in our harbour.  Yes, a great effort was made to extinguish the fire on the ship.  However, no attempt was made to tow the ship out of the harbour in order to deal with the fire.  The ship sank at the dock & stayed there until a salvage company re-floated her so she could be taken to a scrap yard in Japan.  On crossing the Pacific the ship began taking on water & subsequently sank".  

"If you have any questions regarding this, I would be happy to answer them as best I can. You can e-mail me at ".

The USS Corry DDR-817 was stricken from the US Navy List on 2/27/1981.

The USS Corry was sold to Greece in July 1981. Renamed "Kriezis", she served in the Greek Navy until 1994.   She is now said to be"laid up in Souda Bay, Crete, as of January 1998."

I received the following at the 2006 reunion and I'm very sorry to say I don't know who I got it from, if anyone knows who wrote it please let me know. This is the largest chunk of history that I have, as you can see everything here is small bits and pieces sent in at various times. I scanned the following 4 pages and used an OCR program to convert it to text, I've read it over several times and think I got all errors corrected, If you see any please let me know. Thanks Jerry

Top of Page


The U.S.S. CORRY was commissioned a general purpose destroyer, the DD-817, at Orange, Texas, in February 1946. This fifteen million-dollar investment for peace and security was built at the Consolidated Shipyards and is over 390 feet long with an extreme beam of over 40 feet. Her armament includes three five inch mounts for surface and air action and one three inch mount for anti­aircraft fire.

The present CORRY is the third in a string of destroyers to bear this name. The first CORRY, an old "four-piper", was decommissioned in 1930 as a result of the London Treaty which limited world-wide Naval strength. The second CORRY was a gallant Man O'war during World Was II. Serving as an escort vessel in the Atlantic and Caribbean waters, she rammed and sunk one enemy submarine and materially assisted in the destruction of an other. While covering the early landings at Normandy in France, she struck a mine and sank. Miraculously, all hands survived.

All three CORRY'S were named for a heroic Naval aviator, Lieutenant Commander William Merrill CORRY, who served with distinction in World War I. He died in the 1920 when he was thrown from a plane that crashed and burned. Although badly hurt, and with complete disregard for his personal safety, he courageously struggled in the finest tradition of selfless devotion to rescue a brother officer trapped in the flames; and soon after, dying from the resulting burns. For his valiant effort, his nation posthumously awarded Lieutenant Commander CORRY its highest award, the Congressional Medal of Honor,

Between the years 1946 and 1953 the U.S.S. CORRY operated over practically the entire North Atlantic Ocean, She made three cruises to the Mediterranean for a sum total of sixteen months. While there, the men of the CORRY visited every major port from Gibraltar to Suez and back again. Then for two and one-half years she operated out of Pensacola, Florida, while she trained reservists and assisted carrier groups as they qualified air cadets.

In June 1951 the ship made her first Midshipman Cruise this time to Northern Europe, when she returned from Scandinavia and the British Isles, she again operated in the Norfolk area for a year. She completed her list of fabulous travels when in November 1952, she returned from her final six month cruise to the Mediterranean, by then, her time as a "DD" was growing short, and in April of the following year, she hauled down her commission pennant to be completely reconverted with the Navy's newest electronic equipment. In this way she was becoming better prepared to carry out her mission of readiness for that nation's defense.

For nine months the CORRY lay dormant while the Norfolk Naval Shipyard gave her new life. On 8 January, 1954, she was officially "reborn' in the traditional commissioning ceremonies of a naval vessel. Her designation: DDR-8l7 a radar picket destroyer her mission: far ahead of the Navy's large task forces acting as advance guard detecting the enemy with her ever-searching radars, she became part of Destroyer Division 262.

In July 1956, the CORRY made her second Midshipman Cruise; she assisted in the training of men from 52 NROTC Universities throughout the country and made ports of call in New Orleans and after a trip through the canal, to the city of Balboa, Republic of Panama.

Upon return to the East Coast the CORRY operated for a few weeks off the Virginia Capes and then came to Norfolk for a month's preparation before leaving for the Mediterranean in November 1956, During this winter the ship visited, once again, some of the many interesting ports of the Mediterranean and participated in training exercises with the SIXTH Fleet. Upon her return to the U.S,A, the CORRY remained in the vicinity of Norfolk making only several short cruises to a few of the East coast ports. On one such cruise, to New York City, she took 200 members of the Police Athletic League out to sea for a day of duty.

After a lengthy period of preparation, the CORRY departed once again for the North Atlantic and Mediterranean in early September 1957 to participate in one of the largest peacetime Naval exercises in history. Her first stop was on the beautiful Clyde River at Greenoch, Scotland, From this jumping off point, she proceeded into the North Atlantic to take part in Exercise Strike back as a radar picket ship, While cruising off the coast of Norway, the CORRY went above the Arctic Circle before turning south for the Mediterranean, Here the SIXTH Fleet kept her very busy, but she managed to find time to visit several Greek ports, most notably, Athens.

Upon her return to Norfolk, just in time to greet the New Year, the CORRY spent several months once again operating off the Virginia Capos, In July of 1958, she reentered the Norfolk Naval Shipyard, Portsmouth, Virginia for her bi-yearly major overhaul and to prepare for one of the Navy's most important evaluation projects of the year. Along with Destroyer Division 262, she took on the new role as the first ship to incorporate a new Electronic Data System with the purpose of furthering her mission as a radar picket ship.

In January of 1959 she said good-by to the shipyard, and once again took to the high seas, her first objective being shakedown training in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, Here she visited the capitol city of Haiti, Port-au-Prince, where the men of the ship were able to relax and forget the many long and arduous hours of training for battle readiness.
Upon returning to her home port, the CORRY played an important role evaluating her new Electronic Data System for fleet usage, and participation in Atlantic Fleet exercises, which were terminated in the latter part of July, During these few months, her periods at sea were relatively short, with many weekends being spent in Norfolk, In July the CORRY entered the Norfolk Naval Shipyard, Portsmouth, Virginia for a well deserved upkeep and maintenance period, and in preparation for the forthcoming operations.

After leaving the yard, the CORRY Spent the remaining months of 1959 almost continuously on the high seas, participating in WEXVAL 8 and 9 Tests with the SECOND Fleet in the Virginia Capes Operating Area, acting in a most important role of air defense, and carrying out her mission as a radar picket destroyer.

Underway again in January I960, she visited the Caribbean in operation "Springboard", and during her shore bombardment phase the exercise was termed "the finest illumination demonstration the observation post had ever witnessed," The Corry’s visit to San Juan, Puerto Rico, and St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, enhanced a very successful month of January, and gave the crew a well deserved break in three weeks of operations.

For the next two months, upon returning to her homeport of Norfolk, The CORRY entered drydock at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard, Portsmouth, Virginia, after a short tender availability period, which better prepared her for participation in WEXVAL 10 and 11 exercises in the Virginia Capes Operating Area These eval­uations and tests, in which the CORRY won hard earned laurels, ended in April.

Another yard period in May was followed by extensive operations in Atlantic Fleet Exercises with one of the biggest task forces assembled since the war The CORRY departed for a seven month deployment with the SIXTH Fleet on 4 August after only two weeks preparations, and arrived in Golfo di Palmas, Sardinia, to relieve the USS DYESS on 19 August.

From August I960 to February 1961 the CORRY conducted various operations with the SIXTH Fleet and various NATO groups. During this period the crew of the CORRY enjoyed liberty in such ports as Liverno, Rome, Naples, Genoa, Athens, and Monaco, On 27 December I960 in Genoa, Italy, Commander Harold Wade KILLER, relieved Commander Charles William WARD, USN as commanding officer.

In early March of 1961, the CORRY returned to her homeport, Norfolk, Va., for her regular overhaul period at the Naval Shipyard in Portsmouth, Virginia, The overhaul completed in July, and several months spent conducting vibration tests at both the Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Corp, and the Norfolk Ship­building and Drydock Corp., the CORRY finally departed for Guantanamo Bay, Cuba on October 17, 1961 for refresher training. The training of the ship's crew and 6 new Ensigns was interrupted in late October by hurricane Hattie which swept through the Caribbean, devastating the coastal areas of British Honduras, The CORRY, along with the USS BRISTOL, was the first assistance to arrive on the scene, and, after a harrowing cruise through the barrier reefs, sent a party ashore to Belize, the capitol, to set up relief operations in a private hospital. By the time a British destroyer could be dispatched from Bermuda and a U.S. carrier from Mayport, the CORRY had given over 1000 typhoid shots, had repaired the hospital and set up a small generator, and had reestablished the first communications in the area, communications which were later to be used to coordinate all relief operations. A team of CORRY engineers also spent two days restoring the city's diesel generators to operating condition. Soon after, "reinforcements" arrived, and the CORRY returned to GTMO to complete her training. She returned to Norfolk on the 19th of December and was to have only six weeks in port before deploying to the Mediterranean on the 7th of February 1962 with slightly more than 1/2 of her recently trained crew on board the rest were replaced by new men,

Enroute to the Mediterranean and the SIXTH Fleet, the COHRY began training again in all phases of her duties engineering casualty control and damage control exercises, anti-air warfare, anti-submarine exercises, gunnery shoots, replenish­ment and fueling at sea plus her regular daily drills in the formation.

The CORRY transited the Straits of Gibraltar on the 28th of February, and after a turnover ceremony in an anchorage at Majorca, the next assignment was liberty in Cannes, France.

For the next six months, the CORRY was to spend many days at sea partici­pating in AAW, ASW, and replenishment-at-sea exercises. Between the at-sea periods she found time to visit such ports as Savona, Civitavecchia, Naples, Gaeta, Salerno, and Genoa in Italy; Cannes, France again; and Tripoli, Libya The port visits were, of course, recreational, but much was accomplished to further the "People-to-People" program, as well as acquainting many with U.S. sea power, A party for orphans and food to a children hospital were part of the activity in Gaeta, Italy and similar events were held in Thessalonica, Greece, Visitors numbering over 2000 came to see the CORRY in Antalya, Turkey These months in the Med, provided powerful evidence that destroyers are the workhorse of the fleet and that every officer and man must be competent in many fields from fighting to diplomacy.

Two visits to Naples, Italy served as upkeep periods with the destroyer tenders. It was shortly before one of these visits that Commander Archy Louis LUPIA; USN relieved Commander KILLER as Commanding Officer on 8 July 1962.

The CORRY returned to her homeport, Norfolk, on the 29th of August and for several weeks enjoyed the advantages of the tenders and a long leave period On October 17, the CORRY left for the Caribbean in company with an Amphibious Task Force to provide gunfire support services during their exercises. The CORRY and the Task Force never reached their initial objective, for on 22 October, the Quarantine of Cuba was declared and the CORRY was detached to proceed to the scene. For the rest of October and into November, the CORRY participated in the quarantine and was relieved to return to Norfolk on 27 November.

For the next five month's, the greatest part of the time was spent in port. In, March .of 1963 the CORRY made a visit to New York City to .render honors for the King of NERCO’s visit to the United States.

On 2 May 1963 the CORRY left for project Mercury recovery duty in connection with Mercury Shot in late May, having been assigned the far eastern Atlantic station, south of the Canary Islands, Since her return from the Mercury shot in late May, the C0RRY has operated in and out of Norfolk conducting training operations under the operational control of Commander SECOND Fleet.

Author Unknown

Top of Page

GoldStarBar.gif (1803 bytes)

USS Corry DD-463

Please check the US Corry DD463 Website

The second USS Corry, DD-463, was launched 7-28-1941 by Charleston Navy Yard, sponsored by Ms. J.C. Corry; and commissioned on 12-18-1941.  With LCDR E.C. Burchett in command, the USS Corry reported to the Atlantic Fleet. USS Corry conducted special operations with Radio Washington at Annapolis from 18-21 May 1942; then sailed 21 May to escort SS Queen Elizabeth into New York Harbor 22 May. After an escort voyage to Bermuda, she patrolled off Newfoundland between 31 May & 23 June & rejoining her group at Newport 1 July, operated on coastal patrol & escort, voyaging several times to Caribbean ports, until 19 October, when she put in to Bermuda.  During this period she picked up survivors of the torpedoed SS Ruty from a life raft off Trinidad.

The USS Corry cleared Bermuda 10-25-1942 for Casablanca to participate in the Moroccan landings in the screen of Ranger CV-4.  She left Casablanca 16 Nov. for Norfolk & Boston, & after overhaul resumed her coastal & Caribbean operations until 2-13-1943, when she sailed on escort duty from Norfolk for north Africa, returning 6 Mar. for operations in the western Atlantic.  On 11 Aug. she sailed for Scotland & operated with the British Home Fleet, cruising once to Norway & twice to Iceland to cover the movement of Russian bound convoys. Returning to Boston 3 Dec., USS Corry sailed 24 Dec. for escort duty to New Orleans & Panama.

Similar operations continued until 2-16-1944, when USS Corry sailed for hunter-killer operations in the Atlantic with TG 21.16, arriving at Casablanca 8 Mar. She left Casablanca 11 Mar., & on 16 Mar. joined with Bronstein DE-189 in attacking the German submarine U-801.  When the submarine surfaced, USS Corry sank her with gunfire, & picked up her 47 survivors.   USS Corry arrived at Boston 30 Mar. for overhaul followed by training.

USS Corry cleared Norfolk 4-20-1944 for Great Britain, & the staging of the Normandy Invasion.  She escorted heavy ships & transports across the channel on 6 Jun., & headed for San Marcouf Island, her station for fire support. At 0633 she hit a mine, which exploded below her engineering spaces, & all power was lost.  Within minutes, she had broken amidships & her main deck was under 2 feet of water.  The order was given to abandon ship, & her survivors were in the water some 2 hours under constant shelling until rescued by Fitch DD-462, Hobson DD-464, Butler DD-636, & PT-199.  Of her crew, 6 were dead, 16 missing, & 33 injured.

Hello all,

I have found a recording of a June 7, 1944 NBC radio broadcast
and have added it to the USS Corry website.

It describes the sinking of the USS Corry (DD-463) on D-Day.

Here is the link:

Duration: 1 minute, 37 seconds.
Kevin McKernon,
son of USS Corry D-Day survivor, Chief Petty Officer Francis "Mac" McKernon


ANNOUNCER: WEAF, New York. Now NBC continues its coverage of operations in Europe with a special broadcast from NBC staff in England. We take you now to London.

This is W. W. Chaplin in London. It is now 11:30 PM . . .

Here is one late dispatch which came in just a few minutes ago from NBC's George Wheeler, who has been with the American naval forces in the Channel since before the invasion began. . .

Wheeler tells of the loss, during the first invasion phase, of a United States destroyer, the name of which I am not yet privileged to disclose.

He says this destroyer had gone in quite close to the French shore. Then, apparently one of the enemy shore batteries got her range and just pumped her full of shells. George Wheeler says that as many of the destroyer's crew as could, got off before she sank, and were picked up by a nearby ship. But it's impossible at this time, he says, to say what percentage of the destroyer's crew was saved.

After the destroyer was sunk, says Wheeler, the German battery was silenced within three minutes by the venerable battleship NEVADA.

Well, that just goes to emphasize what I've been saying in these broadcasts ever since the invasion began before yesterday's dawn: we're bound to have many losses in all branches of the services. And it is only safe to presume that some of them may be heavy losses.

NOTE: Positioned behind the Corry, the battleship Nevada (BB-36) eliminated one of the St. Marcouf/Crisbecq battery's three guns. The nearby destroyer USS Fitch (DD-462) also brought sustained fire on the battery after the Corry was hit.


  USS Corry received 4 battle stars for World War II service.


DD-463_CORRY.JPG (25044 bytes)

Top of Page

GoldStarBar.gif (1803 bytes)

USS Corry DD-334


usscorry.jpg (158522 bytes)

Courtesy Drew & Lisa Weldon at

        The first "USS Corry" DD-334, was launched 3-28-1921 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., San Francisco, CA; sponsored by Mrs. S.W. Corry; commissioned 5-25-1921, LCDR K.E. Hintze in command; & reported to  the Pacific Fleet.

USS Corry cruised on the west coast on a varied operating schedule.  She joined in fleet maneuvers, cruises from Alaska to the Caribbean development & tests of sonic depth finders, antiaircraft gunnery,  aircraft rescue & plane guard rehearsals.  In July 1923 she joined Hull DD-330 to serve as escort for Pres. W.G. Harding embarked in Henderson AP-1 for a cruise to Alaskan & Canadian waters.  She re-joined her division to participate in the American Legion convention at San Francisco in 10-1923.  On 8-9 Sept. 1924, she embarked Sec.of the Navy C.D. Wilbur for a visit to Mare Island Navy Yard.  From 8-28 to 9-09-1925 she served as station ship during non-stop air-plane flight from Hawaii to San Francisco.

In 12-1929 the USS Corry entered the San Diego Destroyer Base to prepare for decommissioning. She was towed to Mare Island Navy Yard & de-commissioned 4-24-1930.  She was stripped & sold for salvage 10-18-1930, in accordance with the terms of the London Treaty for the limitation of naval armament

Top of Page